Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chili Anyone?

Today I made chili. This is based on my mom's meat chili that she made us growing up. I make a few changes to make it healthier and vegetarian. DH loves this! I wanted to make chili because later in the week, my husband's brother will be visiting and I will be making his favorite: Chili Cheese Burritos (look for the recipe later this week). Some people can only make chili in the winter time, but for me it's a year round event. I simply make sure the AC is going strong and that the house is nice and cool (even if it's 115 outside, which it often is during the summer months).  Making chili is one of my favorite things to make because I love having lots of leftovers that I know I can use to create other meals. Ways I use the left overs...

*frozen in bowlfuls for quick thaw easy meals
*individual frozen portions to be thawed out for taco salad
*homemade nachos
*chili cheese burritos
*chili cornbread bake



Vegetarian Chili



1 pkg Morning Star Farms soy crumbles

garlic powder

cumin

chili powder

1 large can tomato puree (29 oz)

1 can organic hot chili beans and juice

1 can organic tricolor beans, drained

1 can organic kidney beans,drained

2 pkgs. low sodium chili seasoning mix or homemade chili mix

hot sauce to taste (optional)

chopped onions (optional)



In a soup pot, heat frozen soy crumbles with some water over md-md/high. sprinkle with garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder. When heated through (about 5 minutes) add tomato puree, beans, and chili seasoning mix. Put 1/2- 3/4 c water in the empty can of chili beans and scrape the sides to get any leftover beans and the flavors. Add to the chili in the pot and mix well. Heat over md till starts to simmer. Then turn down and let flavors meld for a bit. Re taste before serving to re spice if needed. Serve with hot sauce for those who want more heat and top with chopped onions and any other chili toppings of your choice.



How do you use left over chili?
What's your favorite food to use as left overs?

No comments: