Friday, December 2, 2011

The Most Important Meal of The Day...

Good Morning!  They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I never believed that... until now.

Growing up, as a child, teenager, and young adult, I never liked to eat when I got up in the morning.  I think part of it was due to my many allergies which often left me feeling nauseous upon waking. I would usually drink a cup of tea and go off to school. Sometimes, I'd have a piece of toast, but that was rare. I never realised what a boost a good breakfast could give me. Now, most of the time, a good breakfast will fill me up and sustain me till lunch.

Here are my favorite " get myself going " breakfasts:

My cereal of choice is old fashioned thick cut oatmeal. This is hands down my favorite breakfast. I bring 1 3/4 c water to a boil. Then I add 1 c oatmeal, 2 Tbsp. ground flax, and 1 shredded apple, and I simmer it for 5 minutes till done. In my bowl, I put 1-2 Tbsp. raisins or TJ's golden berry blend mix. If I have fresh blueberries, I sometimes use those instead of the raisins. I also add chia seeds, and slivered almonds. Then I add a little milk to the oatmeal and mix it with the other ingredients in my bowl. I top it all with about 1/2 Tbsp. toasted whole flax seeds. It is soooo yummy. As an alternative I sometimes add unsweetened applesauce and a little cinnamon. It's great that way too.

I also like to have scrambled eggs occasionally with 1 slice of whole wheat toast and an orange or banana.Once in awhile I will add a little southwest seasoning to 2 eggs, salsa, and green chilies and wrap it up in a whole wheat tortilla to make my own version of a breakfast burrito. A smoothie is good too, but I usually only have them in the spring and summer. Another breakfast I like is a yogurt topped with my Shannon"s Great Homemade Grain-ola.

The important thing is to eat something at breakfast, even something little, so you can get your metabolism going for the day.

What's your favorite breakfast?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,Why haven,t you posted anything new? Get it on it girl!!!!