Friday, March 9, 2012

Chili Cheese Burritos

My husband's brother is in town visiting us, and chili cheese burritos has long been one of his favorite meals, so I made it for him last night. It is a delicious dish, but laden with prepackaged and fatty foods, heavy salt, and store bought flavors. I can say this about the dish now that i am a more clean and healthy eater, but when I was eating the SAD (Standard American Diet), I worshipped this dish.

My brother in law hasn't been here to visit us in 6 or 7 years and since his wife doesn't make this delicacy, I decided to make it for him. My boys were happy too, because I haven't made this in 2 years and they all really do love it. And, yes, not to detract from his memories of the dish, I didn't change an ingredient when making it. I made it with prepackaged fatty foods, and yes, meat. Here's the original recipe, and it is delicious. I'm not sure where the original recipe came from so I can't give credit, but I know I modified my recipe slightly from the original. This is a real crowd pleaser and easy to make for a group.

Chili Cheese Burritos (Standard American Diet version)


Ingredients:

1 can re fried beans
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided + extra
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4- 1/2 c diced onion (depending on how much you like onion)
3 Tbsp diced green chilies
8 large flour tortillas
2 cans chili no beans
1 can chili with beans
a little water to thin chili
toppings of your choice: shredded lettuce, sour cream, diced tomatoes, etc

lightly grease a 9 X13 dish with  fat free vegetable or canola cooking spray. open cans of chili and warm in a saucepan. thin with a little water if you like. Then put a thin layer of chili on the bottom of your pan. Heat oven to 350.  In a medium bowl, combine 1 c cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, onions, and green chilies. In the center of each tortilla spread some re fried beans. Then top with 1/3- 1/2 c of the cheese-onion-chilies mixture. I always add extra cheese inside and sometimes use the Mexicheese blend. Roll up tightly and place seam side down on top of the chili in your dish. Spoon some more chili over tortilla rolls, leaving some in the pan to be used for those who like extra "sauce." Bake about 30 minutes till heated through and chili is bubbly. sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and bake 1-2 additional minutes while cheese melts.  makes 8 burritos. Garnish with the toppings of your choice  and serve with extra chili sauce Yum!

No comments: