Monday, May 27, 2013

Pumpkin Muffins With Cinnamon Glaze


So, my sister sent me an email not long ago with a recipe for a vegan pumpkin muffin with cinnamon glaze along with a review from one of her friends.
"Oh, those are great!"  My oldest child declared when he ate them. As we were eating them,  we agreed that while the cinnamon glaze rocks, that the next time I make these muffins ( and I will make them again) that I will use my caramel icing as a frosting, making them more of a cup cake. You can get the caramel icing recipe here.  My other kids liked them too, and my mother in law who was visiting us said she thinks they even tasted wonderful plain. A dusting of  powdered sugar would also be a good topping, I think.

The great thing about these muffins is that they were easy to make and were not very time consuming. The batter is thick but easy to work with.  I did make a few changes though to the original recipe. First, I used only 3/4 c sugar because I thought that with the powdered sugar in the glaze as well, that it might be too sweet. I'm glad that I cut down on the sugar because the amount I put in was perfect. Second, I used only whole wheat pastry flour since I never use white flour. Third, I used organic skim milk, not soy milk, so technically, my version was not vegan.

Batter
Vegan Pumpkin Muffins With Cinnamon Glaze
(Adapted from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World," by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero)
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 ....The original recipe was posted on Ann Arbor.com. You can find the complete recipe there or on my muffins, donuts, breads Pinterest board. Check either place for the complete original recipe.





No comments: