Friday, June 7, 2013

National Donut Day and Ballerina Brownies

Today is National Donut Day, so I decided to make my kiddos some donuts.  That was my plan anyway till I came across this recipe for Ballerina Brownies that my sister sent me some time ago. I don't know where  the original recipe came from.  Being a rebel, it was Ballerina Brownies for the win!  I asked my beautiful sister why they were called Ballerina Brownies and she had no clue. I think it's because whenever you eat them, they're so good you just want to get up and dance. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.
 

 
My "brownienut."
 I stuck the 2 halves together
and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
The Perfect Brownie
Pan by Pampered Chef
So I made the brownies using my new perfect brownie pan from Pampered Chef (Thank you, Leanne Blecha Gleitz). The great thing about this pan is that each brownie comes out with 4 edges (great if you like that sort of thing). I also think the pan itself will be very useful for cornbread which I adore and mini individual cakes. The possibilities are endless.
 
After I made the brownie mix, I still had some leftover so I decided to use my Wilton donut pan and make a couple of "brownienuts."  It was a good idea, I thought, but with the nature of the brownie being to break apart and be fudgy-crumbly, the four that I made broke apart when I got them out of the pan. My boys ate them anyway because they were delicious, but my "brownienuts" concept needs a little more work.
 
All that said, these are great brownies!
 
Delicious Brownies (or Ballerina Brownies)
(from Melissa Framiglio—neighbor on Everett)

1 cup melted butter
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips (or other chopped candy) (NOTE: I use mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix everything together (I mix dry, then add wet, but it's all done in one bowl.) & put in a 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake 30-35 min. until it pulls from edges and toothpick comes out with fudgy crumbs.
 
These  brownies get a solid 4 spoons. My boys thought they were delicious. I like them because I put every ingredient in myself so I know there's no added crap like what might be in a regular boxed  brownie mix.




No comments: