Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Eating Rabbit Food

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~
Lao Tzu


So I've been eating vegetarian the past 10 days; my husband for 14. We have cut out all meat for the time being, sodium (hubby, almost completely except what naturally occurs in foods. Me, at least by 50 %),white flour, white sugar, all fast and fried foods, many condiments, and most oils.
Eating this way has been interesting. I can't say I haven't enjoyed it at least to some degree, because without all the added business of excessive sauces, chemicals, and additives, I can actually taste the foods more. And, I can say that while I haven't really missed the meat (I've had only brief, passing moments of wanting), I would not want to go without it indefinitely. We are carnivores by nature, and I have no problem with the ethics of eating animal protein, I just like to eat it occasionally. I have concluded that the word occasionally is what is necessary for me, not cutting the cow, chicken, or pig out completely. Also, to me, the occasional addition of an animal protein adds variety to the vegetarian diet. Now, vegetarians I know will disagree with that, and as I learn more about how to cook vegetarian, and as we try new things and experiment with even more unique foods and spices, I may feel differently, but the transition has difficult. I still plan to eat vegetarian about 75% of the time, I'm just not going to go without. If I want pork, I'll eat it, just less of it.

I have tried some new things since eating this way, and as a southern girl, I can honestly say that no bacon, hocks, or pork fat of any kind was involved. Emeril says that , "Pork fat rules." He is right, and I love it, but it doesn't necessarily do a body good. I have now eaten the following foods and liked them:

cooked greens (collard, mustard,etc)
kale
black eyed peas
green smoothies
coriander (never really used it before)
soy
split peas

 
So, this journey continues one step at a time, and I will continue to share any worthwhile recipes or wisdom that I gather along the way.

No comments: