Friday, February 11, 2011

Sabotage

It never fails that I get going on a diet or healthy eating lifestyle just in time to get sick.
It's hard to eat healthy, I think when you get sick, because many people don't feel like cooking food  or thinking about food at all. If you are like me, it's easier to grab a prepared meal  or something you can get delivered to you because you just don't feel like going through the hassle of getting up and expending the energy needed to chop and cut, and measure and cook. This is how I've always been.
No more.  It's too important to my health to grab food for convenience.  So, this morning, I made oatmeal. For lunch even though it's laden with salt and not actually homemade,  I had some Lipton Noodle Soup. Not because it's super healthy (although I could have made many worse choices), but because it is a comfort food and the warmth feels good on my sore throat. For dinner, I'll probably have scrambled eggs. They say that protein is good when you are sick because proteins help fortify and rebuild cells.
Most people probably just do what they have to do to get by when they are sick...survival mode, I guess. I am guilty as charged. And while I will never say never, I'm going to try not to fall into that pattern. That doesn't mean meals can't be easy. Noodle soup is easy to make and takes very little time. It is not hard at all to grab some peanut butter on whole wheat crackers or bread and some fresh fruit. Smoothies are also nutritious and not at all time consuming.  Toast,  yogurt, hummus, unsweetened applesauce....my list is ever growing. I also have been trying to keep some homemade soups and chilies in the freezer for convenience, and those items could be eaten as well.I don't want to get off track just because I have been thrown a curve ball. It will not be easy, but I'm going to give it my best shot. 

Confession:  Mister Salty, the pretzel guy, turned up in my dreams last night. I must say there is no other snack food in the world that I have loved so much as those thin, crunchy, salty little sticks. Pretzels haven't been the same since, and yet I still love them. That's why it has been so hard giving them up. 
Drum roll please.....I haven't had a pretzel in a month!
Pretzels are a problem for me, even healthier ones made of whole wheat or spelt. I am avoiding them purposefully because they are one food  just can't seem to stop eating once I start. I think its the salt. I love it. I never thought I could go one day without a pretzel much less a month, but I have.  I still want them (hence, my dream), I'm just choosing not to indulge. This is quite a  coup for me. Mister Salty as a representative of the whole pretzel world will, unfortunately, have to remain alive only in my dreams...

No comments: