It's unfortunate for me that because of the green peppers, I cannot enjoy this dish. Leave them out you say? It wouldn't be the same. I do love to smell it though because the aroma is to die for. And, I think it's one of those dishes that is even better the next day. It does make a lot though so scale it down if need be. I hope you enjoy it.
Red Beans and Rice
- 1/2 of a Jennie-O turkey kielbasa, sliced and cut in halves (optional)
- 1/2 c heaping diced onion
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 c low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cans no or low sodium red beans, drained
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
- 1 tsp oregano
- a generous sprinkle of thyme
- a pinch of cayenne
Prepare all your veggies and the kielbasa if using. Put in a pot with minced garlic and bay leaf and water saute all till veggies are tender. Add 4 c low sodium vegetable broth, beans, and spices. Bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or so. Add tomatoes and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaf. put some of the veggies and beans mixture in a blender with a little of the juice. I put about 1 1/2 cups in my blender. Blend till smooth, and then gently pour back into pot.Stir to incorporate all and taste so you can re-season as needed.
- Serve over a bed of rice and garnish with diced green onions. Add hot sauce to taste if need for heat. Dh likes to add extra Tony Chachere's as well.