Thursday, October 17, 2013

Red Beans and Rice.

Dh really enjoyed this dish. I have been making it for awhile now, but usually I make it vegetarian. This week I happened to have some Jennie-o turkey kielbasa so I decided to use it. Either way, it's a great dish.

It's unfortunate for me that because of the green peppers, I cannot enjoy this dish. Leave them out you say?  It wouldn't be the same. I do love to smell it though because the aroma is to die for. And, I think it's one of those dishes that is even better the next day. It does make a lot though so scale it down if  need be. I hope you enjoy it.




Red Beans and Rice

  •  1/2 of a Jennie-O turkey kielbasa, sliced and cut in halves (optional)
  • 1/2 c heaping diced onion
  • 1 stalk chopped celery
  • 1 small green pepper, diced
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 small bay leaf
  • 4 c low sodium vegetable broth
  • 3 cans no or low sodium red beans, drained
  • 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • a generous sprinkle of thyme
  • a pinch of cayenne

    Prepare all your veggies and the kielbasa if using. Put in a pot  with minced garlic and bay leaf and water saute all till veggies are tender. Add 4 c  low sodium vegetable broth, beans, and spices.  Bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or so. Add tomatoes and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
    Remove bay leaf. put some of the veggies and beans mixture in a blender with a little of the juice. I put about 1 1/2 cups in my blender. Blend till smooth, and then gently pour back into pot.Stir to incorporate all and taste so you can re-season as needed.
    Serve over a bed of rice and garnish with diced green onions. Add hot sauce to taste if need for heat. Dh likes to add extra Tony Chachere's as well.

     

No comments: