Friday, October 18, 2013

Tortilla "Chips"

I love tortilla chips, but unfortunately making my own out of corn tortillas has never worked because quite frankly, I'm not wild about homemade corn tortillas. I love corn and I love tortillas, but never the twain shall meet in my kitchen, at least not ones that are homemade. Instead, I have always used whole wheat flour tortillas to make wraps,  Mexican dishes, and my beloved tortilla chips, and they were...just okay.

So the other day when I went to Trader Joe's and saw these Whole Grain Flour Tortillas with rolled oats and flax seeds, I knew I had to try them. 





I had also bought some hummus from TJ's and wanted to make chips to eat with it, so I used these speckled tortillas to do just that. I assembled  the tortillas, my Misto filled with olive oil, sea salt, and my pizza cutter. I set the oven to 350 to preheat while I prepared the "chips."  I spritzed each tortilla (both sides) with olive oil and sprinkled each with a little sea salt.  I really like using the Misto because it  sprays a fine, wide misting of olive oil that helps me to coat the tortilla without saturating it. The Misto is also non aerosol, unlike other nonstick oil sprays you find at the grocery store. Both types of sprays will work, I just prefer my Misto.  I used only a  little sea salt because while we rarely eat added salt in anything anymore, to me, chips should be salty...at least a little bit. Then I cut each tortilla into 4 large  triangular pieces and put them on a cookie sheet to bake. Until you know how long your oven will take to cook these "chips," I would watch them carefully. After about 4-5 minutes, the bottom of my tortilla pieces were getting brown so I flipped them and baked about 2 minutes longer to brown the other side.  Then I removed them from the oven and cooled them for just a few minutes before putting the next filled cookie sheet in. This is how they looked when they were finished. They were great and everyone like them. They were perfect with hummus and as a compliment to a big ole delicious chock full of veggies salad.



Finished "chips"

I saved one tortilla for DH to use to make a wrap. Let me just say: best. wrap. ever! These were inexpensive, easy to work with, and totally tasty. These tortillas are my new favorite Trader Joe's find. If you try them, I don't think you'll be disappointed.




No comments: