Monday, October 7, 2013

Vegan Kickstart, Day 1


I had overnight oatmeal today for breakfast. Basically, I added  1/2 c oatmeal and 1 c almond milk, 1 tsp chia seeds, and 1 Tbsp  ground flax in a bowl. Then I put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I simply added 1 spoonful of the apple butter I made yesterday for flavor and sweetness. Lastly, I warmed it up on the microwave because I cannot eat cold oatmeal. I'm not sure  I liked the "raw" oats. They were chalky, like oat flour.  They did fill me up quicker than cooked oats, probably because they had swelled overnight soaking up all the almond milk. The chia and flax seed meal also added more bulk sitting overnight. I have been researching the nutritional value of cooked v. raw oats, and have found nothing substantial to support one way over the other. In my mind, I would think raw would be better, much the same way that boiled vegetables lose some of their nutrients when boiled too long, while raw veggies maintain their nutritional integrity. One small spoonful of the apple butter I made yesterday was the perfect sweetener. I think I will have to try other butters and homemade jams, perhaps pumpkin and blueberry to sweeten future bowls.
 
My lunch consisted of a mixed green baby kale and spring mix salad with carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, and 3 green olives with a cup of canned tomato soup made with water and sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Some delicious red seedless grapes finished off the meal.  I used canned soup because I have yet to find a really good tomato soup recipe that I like. I'm still on the hunt though. The baby kale came from Sprouts and it is sooo good
 
 
 
 I had a banana snack with a little Nutella between lunch and dinner. Then I realized Nutella had  milk in it...damn it!  I L-O-V-E Nutella!  : (

Dinner was whole wheat linguine with my spaghetti sauce, a small salad, and a half a glass of wine.

Lots of water and tea today...all in all, a pretty successful start.

No comments: