Monday, January 13, 2014

Baked Power Oatmeal Squares

Fresh out of the oven

I tried something new this morning.  After searching the web and looking at many many baked oatmeal recipes, I decided to try to make my Power Oatmeal into baked bars. Through myfitnesspal each serving has 203 calories in it.  I have decided it is best served warm (10 seconds in the microwave should do it).  

When I first tasted it, I thought it tasted a lot like banana bread, which is good because I like banana bread. I might still play around with the recipe a bit to try different flavor profiles, but these baked squares were pretty good just the way I made them.  I used applesauce for an oil substitute and a mashed banana for  consistency and sweetness. I might try applesauce and grated apple next time. My goal was to use no oil and I did accomplish that. If you want to make it completely vegan, you could probably use an egg replacer or add more baking powder and simply skip the eggs. I don't do a lot of vegan baking, but I read a lot of vegan blogs, and I know there are ways to "veganize" just about everything it that's how you roll.  Just play around with the basic recipe to get it the way you want it. 

These squares were good plain, or the way the twins ate them as an after school snack today:  warmed in the wave and sprinkled with powdered sugar.. DH said it was okay, yet he still ate two. Only my oldest child didn't care for them.  I think the kids would like them even better sans the dried fruit and walnuts, but with chocolate chips. So, I may need to try that soon too. I also think grated carrots and raisins would be good for a Faux Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal Square. And I think a little maple syrup might be a good addition as well.  Variety is the great thing about these squares.  You can vary the add-ins based on your personal tastes and those of your family. 

I loved that the twins ate these squares because it was a good way for me to sneak in "weird" foods (aka healthy ones that they might normally turn there nose up at) like chia seeds, almond milk, and ground flax...CHA CHING!  Mom for the win!

Somebody liked these squares because here's what's left... and the nights not over yet.
Almost gone...


Baked Power Oatmeal Squares

1 applesauce cup (I used Kroger unsweetened cups, 4 oz)
1 small mashed banana
2 eggs
1/4 c brown sugar
1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 c rolled oats
 1/4 c Trader Joe's Golden Berry Blend (dried fruit blend)
2 tsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp ground flax
1/4 c walnut pieces

Mix together applesauce through brown sugar and blend till mixed well.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour all into a greased 9 X 13 baking dish, and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Let cool about 5-10 minutes then cut into squares. I cut mine into 12 squares.  Yum!








No comments: