Saturday, June 18, 2011

Picky Eater's 20-Minute Black Bean Soup

One of my favorite blogger, The Picky Eater, had this on her website last week.  I made it last night and it was yummy. Definitely a great soup for a quick meal. I am sorry for those of you who do not have a Trader Joes's, but maybe you could find a good substitute for the TJ's soup.  I did not use the peppers in this soup because I am allergic, and I added more cumin and and some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning too. As Picky Eater says, the seasonings make this soup and you can use whatever seasonings that taste good to you.  I also blended half of the corn and black beans in a blender with some soup "broth" and then dumped it back in the post to get the consistency I like. Play with this basic recipe to adjust it to your tastes . However, as written, it's great!  Just click the link below for the recipe and check out the rest of her site. There's some interesting stuff there.



Addendum:  DH had leftovers today and said that it was even better after sitting overnight because the flavors have melded. We also decided that for us, an extra can of black beans would be good puree'd to add thickness and consitency since we like thicker, less liquidy soups.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ashannon,Letting you know I tried your Chicken fried rice recipe and it was great!! I used extra firm tofu instead of chicken and also added some Thai sweet chili sauce--superior it was. Bob put it in lettuce like a wrap and also loved it!Thks M

Shannon said...

glad you liked it. It is Jake's favorite. Even the twins love it. Jake thinks it should be a weekly staple.