Saturday, April 28, 2012

G is for Grilled Portabello Mushroom Wrapini

 One of the best vegetarian wraps I've ever had out in a restaurant was Jason's Deli's grilled portabello mushroom wrapini. Unfortunately, after having had this scrumptious wrapini only once, Jason's took it off the menu. I found this description somewhere on the web (not sure where), but it's from an old Jason's Deli menu.  "The Grilled Portabello Mushroom Wrapini features the glorious mushroom marinated in our Italian dressing. The wrap is loaded with homemade guacamole and pico de gallo along with organic spinach and asiago cheese. Fabulous! "  I hated to think I couldn't get this wrapini any more so I  set out to make my own version. Here's what I cam up with:

Grilled Portabello Mushroom Wrapini
(Copycat version by me)

*1 package pre sliced portabello mushroom or 1 large portabello sliced 1/4 inch thick

*marinade of your choice (I used fat free zesty Italian. Next time I'll use Lowry's Garlic & Herb marinade- the zesty Italian was good, but I have had the Lowry's on grilled veggies before and really like it.I think it would be better.)

*1/2 c sweet onion thin slices, caramelized

*whole wheat tortillas

*Trader Joe's Guacamole Hummus

*pico de gallo or salsa of choice (pico is best)

*spinach leaves

*shredded cheese of choice (asiago, white cheddar, Italian blend, etc.)

*sour cream (optional)



Marinade mushrooms for an hour or so in the marinade of your choice. Meanwhile, cut up the onion and caramelize it.  Grill or pan saute the mushrooms.

To assemble: spread 1 Tbsp or so of guacamole hummus (more or less as you see fit) in the center of a tortilla. I also use a little lite sour cream (optional). Next layer half of the warmed mushrooms and onions, saving the other half for the next day's lunch or dinner. Top with a little salsa or pico de gallo, shredded cheese of choice, and spinach leaves. Roll tortilla like you would a burrito or enchilada and enjoy!

Review: Very close to the original.  I will use the Lowry's next time. Loved using the guacamole hummus as opposed to just plain guacamole, because of the added protein from the chickpeas. I always try to get in extra protein whenever possible. Play around with this wrap and make it your own. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments: