Friday, July 20, 2012

How Important is Your Health?

Today on my Facebook homepage I saw the question below from Talia Fuhrman on the Disease Proof website:


Have you ever heard someone say,
 "I'd rather enjoy my food and die early than eat healthfully and live long"?

 
I  hear this all the time from people and I don't really understand why.  My guess is that it must be because they view healthy food as "rabbit food'" often lacking in flavor and tummy satisfaction.  I have found quite the opposite to be true. Some of the best food I've ever eaten has been "healthy."  Healthier food choices like whole grains, lean meats (if you are a meat eater), fruits, and vegetables aren't always as "sexy" as as many of the SAD-Standard American Diet food choices (I get that), but they can keep you feeling better in the long run.  Personally, I'd rather eat a healthy diet and maybe avoid some diseases and illnesses that might affect the quality of my life down the road, including quality time with my children and family.

It's about personal responsibility and taking your health into your own hands. We all have one body in this life, and it is so important to take good care of it. But like anything, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Good nutrition and exercise training is a valuable tool for people, but it's up to each individual if he or she chooses to use it. I would suggest to people who think like the quote says to try some healthier food choices and see how they feel. I can tell you that since I have started on this healthy lifestyle journey, that I physically feel better, and I can now taste things that I've never  really tasted before.  With my palate unencumbered by  all of the preservatives and fake food ingredients, I am tasting some foods for the very first time. I realise that there are so many flavors out there to try...still, and I look forward to each new flavor experience. But, you don't know until you try it.

No comments: