Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pickled Tink

My photo of Skinnytaste.com's Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole
 
I am pickled tink!  It is sooo hard to find 1 meal item that all of my family likes and that all of us can eat. I feel like a super hero today, because today, I have done just that. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Gina at Skinnytaste.com for the original recipe below. She has lots of great recipes on her site and I suggest you visit there as well as follow her on Pinterest. I have also made her onion rings, and they too, are terrific.

Here's what I like about this recipe:
  • all members of my family liked it
  • it is made from ingredients I regularly keep in my pantry/fridge/freezer, so I didn't  need anything fancy to make it
  • it is a budget meal (very inexpensive)
  • it satisfies all eating styles in my house (nutritarian and plant strong)
  • it can be made ahead of time and cooked later
  • the cooking time is quick (about 20-25 minutes depending on your oven)
  • no canned soups are involved in making this casserole which is almost unheard of
I did make a few changes to the recipe. I used Parmesan cheese in a can, not fresh, and I used cubed not shredded chicken so I could eat it also and pick out the chicken more easily. Also, after I made the sauce and mixed it all up, I realised I needed more sauce. This is probably due to the fact that I didn't measure my broccoli or chicken to specifics. I just eyeballed the amounts. Well, I didn't have anymore chicken broth so I made some with 1 c  no salt chicken bouillon granules, hot water, 1/2 c milk, 1 Tbsp flour (I only use whole wheat flour and whole wheat egg noodles), 1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.  The only other thing I did differently is to add 1 more Tbsp each of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs for the topping.

This one get 4 spoons for sure!

Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/6th • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 313 • Fat: 9.9 g • Protein: 27.2 g • Carb: 31.2 g • Fiber: 4.4 g • Sugar: 2.6 g
Sodium: 256.7 mg (without salt)

 

 
Ingredients:
 
  • 6 oz Ronzoni Smart taste noodles (or no-yolk)
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
  • 12 oz fresh broccoli florets, chopped
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 medium shallot, minced
  • 3 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1-3/4 cups fat free chicken broth
  • 1 cup 1% milk
  • 12 oz cooked shredded chicken breast
  • 4 oz shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar 
  • cooking spray
  • 3 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat)
Go to Skinnytaste,com for the rest of the recipe.
 
Remember to check out Skinnytaste.com for other great recipe ideas!

No comments: