Saturday, March 30, 2013

Deviled Egg For 1

Besides Peeps (love them to this day... especially when they are slightly stale) and Aunt Joyce's German Potato Salad, my favorite thing about Easter has always been the delicious deviled egg. I could literally eat my weight in them, I think.
I have loved them so much, that they are no longer just for Easter or summer cookouts. Sometimes I have them as a mid day snack or after a workout. I love that they are so very easy to whip up and that they give me a salty, homey, creamy feeling in my mouth that I find very satisfying.

So when my DH asked me what I was doing this morning, I said, "Making a deviled egg ."
" A deviled egg," he questioned, " as in 1?"
"Yes, dear, just 1."
" Really? Who makes just 1 deviled egg?"
Who? A deviled egg lover like me!  That's who!

Now I know deviled eggs are easy to make, and no one really needs a recipe, but I have never seen a deviled egg for 1 recipe so I'm posting one today.

Deviled Egg For 1

First start with a perfectly boiled egg. Peel it, cut it in half, and put the yellow part in a bowl. Mash it with a fork. Next add @ 1 tsp lite mayo ( or vegan equivalent) and @ 1/2 tsp yellow mustard. Mix well. Using a small spatula so I can scrape the bowl, I put the yellow mixture back in the egg white. Sprinkle the tops with paprika if you like... Or not.

Variations:
While I never use sweet relish like my mom always did, I sometimes use finely diced dill pickle for a little consistency and a little extra tang .
I also sometimes vary the type of mustard. I use. Dijon is good as well as champagne mustard. Experiment and make it your own. Homemade pickles and homemade mustard make all the difference in the world if you are so inclined.



No comments: