Friday, March 11, 2011

Black Bean and Brown Rice Chili

Another winning recipe from my sister (Thank you, Tricia!)
I get to cross black beans off my 30 Healthiest Food Challenge today. Yesterday I made black bean and brown rice chili. Yummy!  We ate it last night for dinner and had leftovers tonight as well. Last night, I ate mine in a burrito, and DH had his in a bowl. It works well as a burrito filling because it was extremely thick. Tonight, we both ate it in a burrito. I must say that sitting overnight in the fridge made it hotter (spicier) than it was last night. I'm glad I went easy on the chili peppers.  this meal gets an A+ for flavor and ease. You throw it all in a slow cooker, so how could it get easier than that. Tricia thinks it came from a crock pot cookbook she once got out of the library. I urge you to try it. You won't be disappointed.

Black Bean and Brown Rice Chili


2 cans black beans
1 can (14 oz) crushed or petite diced tomatoes
1/2 c brown rice
1 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
 ( I added extra seasonings to taste, including some Cajun seasoning.)
1/2-1 whole can chipoltle chilies, cut into small pieces (I used 3 because i have never used them before and was kind of scared of them to be honest with you. They were like hot pepper in BBQ sauce...very interesting)
Best when served with warm tortillas and sour cream.
Pour beans, tomatoes, and liquid into crock pot. Add brown rice, seasonings, and chilies. Stir to combine. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Stir a couple of times during cooking and add water as needed. If you're going to be gone, I would suggest adding water with all other ingredients so it doesn't get too dry and burn.

No comments: