Friday, March 11, 2011

Kale Soup

I can mark kale off my 30 Healthiest Foods Challenge.  I got this recipe from my sister when I went home last month, and I tried it this week. It was a hit with DH and I. It was the closest thing I've had to  my beef vegetable soup recipe, minus the beef, or course. It's one of those recipes that you can make your own based on whatever spices and veggies you choose to use. 

Kale Soup

1 head kale (leaves torn and soaked, no stems)
1 lg onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 quart veggie broth
1 c chopped carrots (I used @ 1 1/2 c + 1 stalk celery, chopped)
1/2 sm bag frozen green beans
1/2 small bag frozen baby limas or 1 can white beans (I used baby limas.)
1/2 c frozen corn
1 can crushed or petite diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp oil black pepper
Mrs. Dash extra spicy (I did not use this. I used veggie soup seasonings: thyme, sage, bay leaves, oregano...this is where you can make it your own)
2-3 c. water

Saute onion, garlic, carrots, celery and spices in oil till onion is translucent and veggies soften a bit. I skipped the oil and did this in a little water, stirring frequently and adding water as needed. Then add tomatoes with juice and 1 c of water. Stir well and cover the pot. Cook on high 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
While veggies are cooking, tear up kale and soak it it water. Change the water and drain 3-4 times. Then microwave kale with a tsp of water for  7 minutes. Add it to your soup pot along with the vegetable broth and frozen veggies. Add enough water to submerge the veggies. Cook on md. heat for 1 hour, then on low for 1-2 additional hours. Stir occasionally and re season during cooking.  I cooked mine a good 4 hours and it was delish!

No comments: