Friday, January 6, 2012

The Best Pancakes I've Ever Made

I used to use Bisquick (confession time). But, about a year and a half ago, I started trying to find healthier alternatives.   I bought mixes from Trader Joe's and from Whole Paycheck, but neither was received with ooohs and aahhhs, so instead I started trying homemade pancake recipes. Well, a year and a half later, my quest for the perfect pancake (at least for my family) has been accomplished. 

A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across this pancake recipe. I am not a big fan of pancakes myself, mind you, but even I think they are good, and if I really like them, there's something to them. I am reprinting the recipe below exactly as it is on Fuzz Food's blog with my changes noted. Let me tell you what...they are called Fly-Off-The-Plate pancakes for a reason!  All of my boys love them too. tonight, Jake said they are deinitely the best pancakes I've ever made. They are not a puffy pancake, but flat, more like griddle cakes. I was dubious about the sour cream at first, but no more.  The first time I made this recipe, I followed it exactly. This time, I made a few changes. Next time, I may make even more. Thanks for the help, Fuzz Food!

Reprinted from Fuzz Food at http://fuzzfood.blogspot.com/

Fly-Off-The-Plate Pancakes


1 cup flour ( I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar (I used half the sugar)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk (I used skim)
2 1/2 Tbsp. sour cream (we like Daisy. It's close to natural) (Do not leave this out)
2 Tbsp. butter, melted (I used half the butter)


Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix rest of ingredients with a wire whisk until frothy; add to dry mixture, stirring just until smooth. Lightly grease griddle. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot (375 deg.) surface. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn. Serve with butter and syrup or honey, or your favorite jam if desired. Makes about 1 dozen.

No comments: