Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Vegetarian Fried Rice

So yesterday was fried rice day at our house. The kids had my chicken fried rice, and DH  and I had vegetarian fried rice. My recipe is very similar to the chicken fried rice only minus the meat and way more veggies. Both are delish, and my house smelled good all day from the aromas. My
vegetarian fried rice recipe is below, and while it was great, I still plan to tweak it for next time. So whether you make my chicken fried rice or my vegetarian version here, I do believe your tummy will be satisfied.



Shannon's Vegetarian Fried Rice

1 c jasmine brown rice
1 1/2 c water
1/2 c each of the following;
       zucchini cut in rounds, then halved     
       mixture of green onion and onion slices
       green bean (I like haricot verts--TJ's has them cheap)
       broccoli florets
       mini julienned carrots (little match sicks)
a handful of frozen green peas
toasted sesame oil (again I use TJ's brand--yummy and cheap)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
ginger powder
crushed red pepper
lite soy sauce
oyster sauce
water chestnuts(maybe 1/4 - 1/2 c sliced and chopped)
1-2 eggs + 1 egg white scrambled

The night before, make your rice. I use Dynasty jasmine rice (in a bag in the Asian food isle.) When rice is done and cooled slightly store it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, scramble the eggs and

store in the fridge till you are ready for them.

Cut up all your fresh veggies and set aside. this can be done the night before as well.

Heat up wok and add ½-1 t. sesame oil. Stirfry the broccoli and green beans about 4 minutes till crisp tender.  NOTE: If at any point you feel like you need more liquid so your veggies saute but do not burn, just add a little water to "sweat saute" the veggies.
Make a well in the middle of your veggies and add  fresh ginger, minced garlic, carrots, and frozen peas. Stir fry about 3 more minutes.

Make another well in the middle of veggies and add onions and zucchini. sprinkle all with a drizzle of lite soy sauce and a dollop of oyster sauce. Sprinkle with some ginger powder and a little crushed red pepper.Saute about 3 more minutes and stir to combine.Then remove veggie mixture and set aside.


Add 1 t. sesame oil and add cold cooked rice. Break rice apart with a spatula or spoon and cook 1 minute w/o stirring. Then stir adding  egg, veggies and  maybe 1/3 or more c. soy sauce. Mix thoroughly.

*I usually prepare rice in AM and let flavors meld in the fridge all day. Then I warm rice up before serving. YUM!

Food Notes:  Next time, I want to add some peanuts to the stir fry either cooking them in some of the oil with the sauteed veggies or crushing them and sprinkling them on top. I think it would add to the dish. I also want to try some bok choy next time and maybe some Chinese red pepper or hot sauce for a little more heat.  DH said definitely more green beans next time, so I'll up the green beans a little as well. I did saute separately some mushrooms for myself since DH doesn't like them, and they were a nice addition as well. The great thing about having sooo many veggies in this is that you can easily adapt it to your own tastes: Don't like broccoli? Don't add it.---Love Chinese bay corns? Add some of those instead. This recipe is very versatile and warms up nicely for leftovers. I may have to give tofu another try as well. Chopped up, I may not even know it's in the mix.

This was definitely a successful recipe and a better food day overall than Saturday's "Mighty fine food today, Ms. Betty." ( Historical reference: growing up if  my dad didn't like something that mom cooked, he simply would say, "Mighty fine supper Ms. Betty." That basically  meant "I don't care for this. Please don't make it again.")   On Saturday, Ms. Betty would not leave my kitchen, even though I asked her nicely! (wink, wink) But now, she has left the building! Yes! We definitely wouldn't want her to overstay her visit!




No comments: