Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nannie's Rice Makeover

Last night, I had a real blast from the past.

When I was a little girl, I remember eating my Nannie's rice.I am sure it was probably originally born out of a way to extend the life of leftover rice so it would not go to waste, I don't know...I've never asked my mom. Regardless, I loved it. It was complete comfort food to me. the original recipe called for 1 c warm cooked rice, 1 beaten egg mixed into the rice, sugar to taste, about a cup of milk, and some nutmeg (about 1/4 tsp). After it all was mixed together, you put it in the fridge to let it get cold. Once totally chilled, it was ready to eat.

Last night I wanted to eat something, but didn't know what. I decided to do something with some leftover farro that I had in the fridge. I was telling my DH that morning that I planned to eat it warmed up the next morning instead of oatmeal. I guess that thought about making the farro a sweet breakfast treat must have been in my head because I looked at the farro and a light bulb went off inside my head: Nannie's Rice. And so I threw it together. I used about 1-1 1/2 c of farro, about 3/4 c of Lite Silk Vanilla Soy Milk, stevia to taste, and a couple shakes of nutmeg. Except for the fact that it didn't sit in the fridge and some of the soy milk didn't soak into the farro, it tasted exactly like I remembered.  I finished the whole bowl and thought about my Nannie.  Definitely, a healthier, lighter version of a childhood favorite dish. Yum.

No comments: