Monday, January 14, 2013

So I have been trying lots of new recipes over the past week, and I am anxious to tell you about them. Unfortunately, the pictures I took will have to be posted later due to a problem with Blogger, but I didn't want to wait any longer to tell you about my  new edible discoveries.


First, I had only moderate success last Monday when I cooked a spaghetti squash for the very first time. I followed the directions to a tee, and while a knife inserted easily into each half that I oven baked, I still found the "spaghetti" to be not soft enough for my liking. The taste was great though. I ate it with and without sauce and like it both ways. For me though, it is more of a side dish. I would never serve it as an entree with spaghetti sauce because I didn't find it hearty enough. Working with it was interesting though, because when I cut it open, the insides really smelled like and resembled pumpkin guts which I did not expect. I plan to look up a couple of other recipes for spaghetti squash so I can try it again in the future.


On Friday, I made my  delicious Homemade Grain-ola . It is so good and made the house smell wonderful. 


Also on Friday, I tried 2 new recipes from Lindsay Nixon, The Happy Herbivore.  I got her Everyday Happy Herbivore cookbook for my birthday and The Happy Herbivore cookbook for Christmas. I am loving both of them. From EHH, I made Lindsay's Quick Burgers. DH and I both liked them, but I wouldn't call them a burger. The word "burger" to me is specific to the meat eater I used to be and insinuates a certain robust consistency which every vegetarian, vegan, or black bean burger recipe I have ever tried to cook has never ever had.We liked the recipe a lot, but we call it a black bean "patty," not a burger. I will make them again as they were easy peasy to put together and only took a short time to cook.  DH and I each ate 1 patty on a whole wheat hamburger bun and I froze one. The other fell apart as I was  handling it, so I used it as a topper on my next salad Yum on all accounts. Lindsay's Quick Burgers get 4 spoons from me.




The other recipe of Lindsay's that I made, Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins,  gets 5 spoons. We all loved it and I could not believe there was no milk or eggs in it. It is a definite keeper and a recipe I will make again and again. The ginger added a really nice flavor to the muffins that I wasn't sure I would like, but I did. The next of Lindsay's muffins I  plan to try are her Carrot Spice Muffins. Her  Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins are already a family favorite. So Far, Loving both of my Happy Herbivore Cookbooks.

No comments: