Friday, April 5, 2013

Alphabet Soup: A: "Fried" Apples Mom Style

When I was young, one of my favorite things for my mom to make was fried apples. It was simply yummy in the tummy. For 2 of my kids, it's "Fried " Apples, Mom Style.
"Fried" Apples, Mom Style
Photo by Shannon Recktenwald
 
Peel and slice up 6-8 apples like you would if you were making an apple pie. Toss them into a saucepan. Add 1 Tbsp. butter or vegan spread, up 1/4 c water, 1/2 c packed brown sugar, cinnamon (I start with 1 tsp. then add more after it cooks down. Adjust all spices to your own taste), a sprinkle of nutmeg (more or less to taste), and 1/2 tsp. cornstarch. Stir all to mix together. Then lid the saucepan and cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes. Your apples should be tender, but not mushy. You want them to retain some of their  body.
 
I used a mixture of Granny Smith and Gala apples tonight, though my favorite apples to use are Granny Smith and Honey Crisp when they are in season. One time I mixed in a little apple butter and that was delicious too. Although when I added the apple butter, I lessened  my brown sugar. I know a girl who used 1/4 c orange juice instead of water, and her family loved them that way. This is a tried and true basic recipe, but play with it and make it your own. I don't make them often, but once in awhile, they are a great treat for the kiddos and they make the house smell wonderful.  Tonight it accompanied pork chops and green beans. Your kids will love you for making these, trust me.
 
A is for apples

No comments: