Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cheese Ravioli in Primavera Sauce

I have had this recipe since my days as a single lady. I would make it , then eat off of it all week till it was gone. It was very yummy.

Tonight, I made it for my guys. It got mixed reviews, mainly because of the texture of the ravioli itself. Two of the guys didn't care for the "creamy, squishy insides." And, while none of the boys were wild about the zucchini (they just don't like it), everybody liked the sauce. DH and I ate our sauce with homemade tomato basil fettuccine....totally yum! For my oldest it was a mighty fine dinner, Miss Betty meal. That's what my dad always said when he didn't like something my mom made. It meant, please never make this again. It just doesn't appeal to me. My twins liked it and said it was good - 3 spoons, while DH and I loved it and gave it 4 spoons. The great thing about this dish is that it's fairly quick to make, low cost, healthy, versatile (you can add any veggies you want...whatever your family likes), and filling.  DH really liked the sauce, even better than my mom's staple sauce recipe that I've been using for years. He said it just tasted fresher. I like both sauces, but I do agree about the freshness.

I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I did not make it up. I did make it my own though. I am posting the original recipe and I will tell you how I change it.

Almost ready to serve!

Cheese Ravioli in Primavera Sauce


1  9 oz pkg refrigerated cheese ravioli (or homemade, if you are so inclined)

1 Tbp olive oil (I do not use this)

1 onion diced (I used about 1/4 of a md onion)

2 garlic cloves minced or garlic powder to taste

1 c fresh mushrooms (I sautéed mushrooms and kept them separate since I am the only one who likes them)

2 carrots sliced

1 small zucchini, halved and sliced

1 can tomato sauce - 15 oz   ( I used Trader Joe's Marinara sauce)

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp each basil and oregano

1/2 tsp salt (I did not use)

1/8 tsp pepper (I did not use)

 parmesan cheese (I use Trader Joe's freshly grated)

In a skillet over md - high heat, heat oil and add onion and garlic.  Cook 1-2 minutes. I skip the oil and use water to sauté my veggies.  Add carrots, mushrooms, and zucchini and cook @ 6 minutes more till veggies are tender-crisp.  I cook the carrots for a few minutes first, then add the zucchini and finish cooking since the carrots take longer to cook than the zucchini does.

Next, stir in tomato sauce, lemon juice, and seasonings. I used a 28 oz can of TJ's marinara sauce and a half a jar of Prego Heart Smart, basically doubling the sauce. You can use any marinara sauce you like. I also added more seasoning to taste, including some Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and  then simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Just before serving I add a spoonful of  cheese and mix it in. Then I serve the rest of the Parmesan as a topping for those who want it.

While sauce is cooking, prepare ravioli or other pasta of your choice according to pkg directions.

When all is done, serve sauce over ravioli and enjoy!

No comments: