Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Brunch: Egg McMuffins

I made these Egg McMuffins today after seeing the recipe on The Yummy Life.   I used pork sausage patties that I rolled out and cut myself so I could get them the right size. I cut them a little bigger than my the circumference of my ramekins knowing that they would shrink up as they cooked. When I cooked the sausage, I kept pressing down on them with my spatula to help keep them flat. It worked great. Next time, I will mix the pork and turkey sausage, then eventually, I will just use turkey.
  I also used 2% milk American cheese. All of my boys liked it. I ate one too with just cheese and egg.

I must say that Monica's recipe is right on...very close to the McDonald's Egg McMuffin only healthier. The egg part came out perfectly, and like others on her site suggested, I used a knife to break up the egg yolk a little bit. Monica's step by step photos are excellent. I urge you to check out her full recipe post if you want to try to make these mcmuffins. I can't wait to see how they turn out when you freeze them and then eat them later. That would be a quick morning breakfast that my boys could grab and go.

Here is Monica's recipe:

Healthy Egg McMuffin Copycats
By Monica              Servings: 12 sandwiches
Ingredients
  • 12 large eggs (may substitute Egg Beaters or use all egg whites, if desired)
  • 12 100% whole grain English muffins
  • 12 slices Canadian bacon or cooked turkey sausage patties
  • 12 slices low calorie cheese (ultra-thin regular cheese or low-fat cheese; look for 45 calories or less per slice)
  • black pepper, freshly ground
  • For directions and more about Monica's recipes, go to The Yummy Life

We give these a solid 3 spoons =  Good.  We enjoyed this recipe. I will make it again, but I may tweak it a little.

No comments: