I also used 2% milk American cheese. All of my boys liked it. I ate one too with just cheese and egg.
I must say that Monica's recipe is right on...very close to the McDonald's Egg McMuffin only healthier. The egg part came out perfectly, and like others on her site suggested, I used a knife to break up the egg yolk a little bit. Monica's step by step photos are excellent. I urge you to check out her full recipe post if you want to try to make these mcmuffins. I can't wait to see how they turn out when you freeze them and then eat them later. That would be a quick morning breakfast that my boys could grab and go.
Here is Monica's recipe:
Healthy Egg McMuffin Copycats
- 12 large eggs (may substitute Egg Beaters or use all egg whites, if desired)
- 12 100% whole grain English muffins
- 12 slices Canadian bacon or cooked turkey sausage patties
- 12 slices low calorie cheese (ultra-thin regular cheese or low-fat cheese; look for 45 calories or less per slice)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- For directions and more about Monica's recipes, go to The Yummy Life
We give these a solid 3 spoons = Good. We enjoyed this recipe. I will make it again, but I may tweak it a little.