Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sick Food

What a day yesterday was!   I was busy in the early morning with errands, and then tried to get some much needed housework done. I scrubbed and cleaned both bathrooms, then put my hair up in my Aunt Jamima wrap to keep it out of my face while I mopped the floor. I looked very fetching if I do say so myself, and I smelled all PineSol and bleachy. Sexy, I know. So in the middle of mopping the kitchen floor, my phone rang. It was my oldest who needed to come home because he was sick.While on the phone with him, the middle school beeped in. When I clicked call waiting I heard a faint, "Mom, I threw up."   So, like a quick change artist, I whipped off my dirty shirt to put a new one, took my hair down and ran a brush through it (talk about hat head!), spritzed myself with my purse perfume, grabbed my keys, and got in the car to go. On the way to get my middleschooler, my highschooler was texting me where to go to pick him up. I had never even been to the high school office before and had no clue where to go. I dropped the puking child at home, made sure he was comfortable,  called the doctor's office and went to get my teenager. And that is how hectic my whole day went. I ran here, ran there,  visited the doctor's office, picked up medicines, did laundry, made dinner, cleaned up, and helped with homework.  I was never so glad to sit down! So with 2 out of 3 kids under the weather, here's hoping the rest of us sty well.

Last week, several family members were also sick , including myself. I started thinking about plant strong "sick food," and realized I don't really have any. I eat eggs so scrambled eggs are always an option for me, especially as I fight my way back to feeling normal. And, I can always count on whole wheat saltines, protein bars, applesauce, toast, oatmeal, and cream of wheat...yogurt too, if I'm feeling brave.

The main problem is that when your sick, if you're like me, you just want to grab something quick easy so you can lie down and rest, and not have to cook anything. But being vegetarian and plant strong is not always the easiest thing to be when your sick. When I was sick one day last week, all I wanted was some vanilla pudding. I admit I ate a sugar free snack pack that I found in the back of the fridge. It tasted blah but at the time it was better than nothing. I have a friend who recommended that I make "sick soup " -whatever soup I'd want when I'm sick, make it now, and freeze it for later. That's a good idea, but I know myself, and I won't do that. I'm not that forward thinking I guess.

So all of this got me thinking: what do other vegans/ vegetarians eat when they're sick? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments: