Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance...

It's called the 6 P principle in our house (thanks, Dad!):  proper planning prevents piss poor performance.  It works for most things, I must say. So it was with the 6 P principle in mind that I did some food planning and preparation today. I believe it will  definitely benefit me later in the week and save me some time as well.

First, I rolled out and cooked this great wheat pizza dough I bought at Trader Joe's. 


After I baked it, I cut it up into four rectangle pieces and froze them. This will aid me when I make vegetarian pizza slices for myself over the next week. I made my pizza sauce (tomato sauce, tomato puree, garlic, oregano, and basil) as well.

 Next, I took a can of vegetarian refried beans and put it in my small batter bowl (thanks, Pampered Chef!). Then I  mixed 2 Tbsp. salsa and a sprinkling of taco seasoning with it and mixed well.  Then I made some brown rice. I used TJ's (Trader Joe's) whole wheat tortillas and put about 1/3 c refried bean mixture and 1/4 c brown rice on each one.  On  three of them, I also added a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. Then I rolled them up and froze them. So, now, I can forget about the Amy's burritos I love so much and thaw my own out when I'm wanting a burrito.  I love Mexican food, so they will definitely get eaten. The good thing about taking a little time to make my own is that I have total control and knowledge over what actually made the burrito, and I like that.  Once again, it's true:   proper planning prevents piss poor performance!

A note on Trader Joe's:   I have always liked TJ's, but lately, I am LOVING it!  There are very few things I've tried that I haven't liked. The last time DH and I were there together they had a recipe tasting. It was a TJ's mango chicken sausage baked in their wheat pizza crust, then sliced and topped with TJ's ginger mango chutney (delicious on its own!).  It was such a good dish...I just can't tell you!   I have been thinking about that chicken sausage with ginger mango chutney ever since I tasted it several days ago. I'm thinking I might get a pack to have before my vegetarian summer starts. Our plan (mine and DH's) is to go vegetarian all summer.







3 comments:

Uncle B said...

I think they are the 7 P's from Silas Renfro: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.
:)

Shannon said...

The prior part I thought was in it, but we don't say that b/c planning infers that you are thinking about and preparing for whatever it is already. Hence, the "prior." To me, "prior" makes it redundant.

Uncel B said...

And here, 8 years later, I come across the blog! jajajaja! love you!