Monday, April 11, 2011

Roasted Veggies

Inhale. Mmmmm. My house smells soooo good. I have a roast in the crock pot for the kids and it's aroma seems to be permeating everything. It was one of the foods that my oldest missed when he had braces on because it was hard for him to eat. Now, sans braces, he asked me to make it. I will not be eating it...my choice. I will be serving it with the best roasted veggies ever! I originally made them with pork as they came with a pork roast recipe I tried one time. Now, I skip the pork roast and make them with everything from chicken to pork chops to turkey breast.  It works well with just about everything. If you try it, you will not be disappointed. My kids ask for it all the time.  It's something everyone love, and to get 5 people to all agree on something, in and of itself, is quite the accomplishment.

Roasted Veggies

red potatoes
carrots (the thicker the better)
big sweet onion
olive oil
garlic powder (I used to use garlic salt, but now just let people salt their own if they need it)
pepper
rubbed thyme

Wash and scrub however many potatoes you want to use. They go quickly at my house, so I use a lot. Then  use a peeler to get the skin off your carrots.  Next I cut up the potatoes into quarters, sometimes larger if they are small potatoes. I also am careful to remove any "bad spots" and then set them aside.
Next I cut up the carrots into chunks (personal choice how big) and set them aside.  You can actually roast them raw like this, but I prefer to boil them a few moments on the stove top so they can cook in the oven for less time. After boiling the veggies (I do carrots first and then potatoes), I drain them, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them generously with thyme, garlic powder, and pepper.

While my veggies boil I saute a sliced sweet onion in olive oil and sprinkle it with thyme and garlic powder. All veggies go onto a large baking dish. I drizzle with olive oil one more time and reseason them, and cook 350-400 degrees till done (about 30 minutes if you pre-boil the carrots and potatoes.Test doneness with a knife). Then I broil for a minute or two to brown  the tops of the  veggies.  It may sound difficult, but its not , just a little time consuming . As you get used to making this fabulous dish, it will go quicker. One thing for sure, these veggies are so delicious that prep time is totally worth it.

No comments: