Friday, May 13, 2011

Lentil Soup

I got this recipe from my sister when I visited her in February. It originally called for carrots and mushrooms, but DH won’t eat mushrooms so I adapted and added celery instead. The recipe also called for 1 entire onion. I have a really big, strong onion, and a whole one would have been too much, so I simply used less. I am giving this recipe 3 spoons meaning “Good. I enjoyed this recipe. I may/may not make it again, or if I do make it I might tweak it a little...” While we enjoyed the recipe because it was different, we both agreed we liked it but didn’t love it.





Lentil Soup

1 Tbsp oil (I skipped this and used water to saute my veggies)

1 heaping quarter cup chopped onion

1 stalk chopped celery

1 c. chopped carrots

2 cloves minced garlic

½ tsp turmeric

½ tsp curry

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp chili powder

6 c. water

1 ½ c chicken or veggie broth

1 c lentils

½ c barley

1 14 ½ oz can crushed tomatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil or throw some water in the bottom of a soup post. Add onion and veggies and water saute till softened. Add more water if necessary so veggies don’t burn.

2. Add garlic, spices, water, stock, lentils, barley, tomatoes, and pepper.

3. Boil, then cover and simmer 45 minutes or till lentils and barley

No comments: